Friday, February 14, 2014

The best Valentine's Day gift

I've always had fairly skeptical feelings about Valentine's Day. When I was a little girl I pretty quickly figured out it was a popularity contest - remember delivering those tiny little cards into paper bags on everyone's desk? There was always the kid who got more than anyone else and there was always the kid who received none. Once I realized that, I decided it was a crock.

That isn't to say I want to be forgotten on Valentine's Day, but it's not that important to me. I know I am loved. Since it's not a big deal to either of us, Kevin and I give each other Valentine's Day cards and might grab a bite to eat, but really, when you've been together this long you don't need a specific day to say, "I love you," right?

This year is different.

This year Valentine's Day is being spent in the hospital. My Valentine's Day gift today was holding his hand as the first chemo infusion began to make its way into his veins. I could not ask for a better gift.

I am extraordinarily lucky, in that I don't need a holiday to remind me that I am loved and that I love. I just love. Every day. And today I can celebrate the feel of his palm on mine as we fight, together.

(c)2014 Laura S. Packer Creative Commons License

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Laura for your beautiful words and beautiful you. I am crying as I write this. Have a wonderful Valentine's Day and keep holding your man's wonderful hand. I love you both from the bottom of my toes to the top of my frizzy hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Laura and Kevin, Dear Hearts -- All I can say is beyond words (oxymoron?) -- such a picture of where love has taken you, the solid, clear presence of love in your lives. May the chemo be kind, if not loving; and effective; and Fast.

    Wishing you both hearts-full of Valentines,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete

True Stories, Honest Lies by Laura S. Packer is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at www.truestorieshonestlies.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://www.laurapacker.com.
Related Posts with Thumbnails